Buddy Up: 9 Exercises To Do With Your Best Friend
Having healthy relationships is one of the most important aspects of our overall wellbeing. I feel incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by so many amazing, supportive, and loving people. While life can be complicated and messy, my close friends and family make celebrating life's successes much more enjoyable, and dealing with the failures far more bearable. It's through good, solid relationships with those who love us well and lift us up, that help us become the best versions of ourselves. Colin Powell said, "The simple but true fact of life is that you become like those with whom you closely associate - for the good and the bad." And if that is true, who we desire to become relies heavily on our willingness to create healthy boundaries and choose those people wisely. One of the things I'm most grateful for in life, is my group of girlfriends. It is incredibly life-giving to be surrounded by a group of strong, positive, and supportive women. Many of my fondest memories involve moments that we've shared together. They are a safe place to go when I need support, they lift me up when I'm feeling down on myself, and they are some of the first people to congratulate me when good things happen!
Not only does it help to have a strong support system throughout life's ups and downs, but having people encourage you as you're making healthy lifestyle choices can also have a large impact on your ability to succeed. It's even better if you have a partner or friend who is making some of those changes alongside you! When it comes to success, accountability is a major factor. Over the next few months, I'm excited to share a few ways you can positively include other people on your wellness journey as a way to keep yourself accountable, starting with this buddy workout that one of my closest friends, Amy May, and I did the other day! It's A LOT more fun to workout with a friend! We laughed almost the entire time, and encouraged each other when an exercise was difficult. Afterwards, I wasn't sure if we were more exhausted from laughing, or from the workout itself. Either way, we had a great time, and we both felt successful and motivated afterwards! So grab a pal, a medicine ball, head outside to your favorite place, and get ready to have a fun, laughter-filled workout!
Warm up with either a 5 minute light jog, or try this dynamic warm-up. Then, go through the following 9 exercises 2-4 times! Rest as needed, and be sure to stay hydrated!
01 BURPEE MEDICINE BALL PASS
- Both of you will begin in a squat position. The person with the medicine ball will place it on the floor and perform one burpee. When you come back up, pass the ball to your friend, and stay low in a squat position.
- Perform 10 each.
02 BEAR CRAWLS
- Start side-by-side in a full plank position. Keeping your hips down, reach forward with your opposite arm and leg as you crawl.
- Perform for 30 seconds.
03 REVERSE LUNGES
- Face each other and grab hands. Step back with the same leg, making sure you both keep your knees behind your toes. Then return to the starting position.
- Perform 15 on each leg. Complete one side before switching.
04 SUPER PLANK HIGH FIVES
- In a full plank position, lift your opposite arm and leg and high five.
- Perform 10 on each side.
05 SIT-UP MEDICINE BALL THROW
- Hook your feet together and keep your knees bent. Both of you slowly lower to the ground, engage your abs as you sit all the way back up, and pass the ball at the top.
- Perform 20 total.
06 SIDE PLANK PUSH
- Face each other in a side plank position. Make sure your hand is directly under your shoulder. Place your top hands together and push against each other in a controlled fashion.
- Perform 10 each side.
07 LUNGE + TWIST
- Standing side-by-side, step back with the leg furthest from your partner. Twist to the outside of your front leg, and pass the medicine ball back and forth.
- Perform 10 on each leg.
08 WHEELBARROW PUSH-UPS
- One partner starts standing with feet shoulder-width apart, holding their friend's feet while they are in a push-up position with arms slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Together, slowly lower down into a squat and push-up.
- Perform 10 each.
09 RUSSIAN TWISTS
- Sit side-by-side in a seated position with feet off the ground. Start with the medicine ball next to one hip and then twist and pass the ball to your friend for them to do the same!
- Perform 20 on each side.
If you've been thinking about a friend or family member lately, I want to encourage you to reach out to them with a phone call or a kind text. Make sure those around you know how much they mean to you. You may be surprised how much it will positively affect them as well as your relationship!
"I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let's face it, friends make life a lot more fun." -Charles R. Swindoll
I couldn't have said it better, Charles.
What's your favorite thing to do with your close friends?